Kurzweil K2600XS 88-Key Production Station Keyboard with SamplingzZounds Product DescriptionThe Evolution of Sound Continues
Professionals around the world use Kurzweil instruments for all their production needs. From Film Studios and composers to the U.S. Government, Kurzweil delivers the quality and award-winning audio that is required by the best.
Continuing this tradition, Kurzweil is proud to offer the K2600. Fully compatible with all models that Kurzweil offers, professionals can continue their work without interruption, always confident that archived work will be compatible.
Building on Kurzweil's world-renowned operating system, the K2600 can do more than ever before. The new operating system expands the algorithms from 32 to 127 with Kurzweil's exclusive Triple Modular Processing. The K2600 is the complete workstation — allowing the user to work from concept to completion without changing from station to station. The K2600XS adds a sampling option.Non-Obsolescence
Kurzweil is known for quality instruments that are upgraded, not outdated. All K2000 and K2500 Series libraries are forward compatible with the K2600. That is how Kurzweil was able to build the largest sound library in the world. In addition, Kurzweil reads other major formats directly into the system for use with its V.A.S.T. architecture. New operating systems and options are always being created, expanding an artist's power while preserving his investment in time and programming.V.A.S.T.
Kurzweil's award-winning proprietary Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology (V.A.S.T.) is the state-of-the-art synthesis system, giving an artist powerful expression not available with any other brand. V.A.S.T. can accurately model or emulate many synthesis processes offered by the competition, past or present. In addition, V.A.S.T. has many processes not available anywhere else. A simple comparison will prove the K2600 is the clear choice for any sound professional.Ask and Receive
The K2600 also includes new features that players around the world have asked for. Most options on the K2600 are now user-installable, allowing quick and easy upgrades to the workstation. Kurzweil's exclusive KDFX is now standard on all K2600 units allowing digital effects processing to any signal. Flash ROM has been upgraded from 2Mb to 4Mb, giving twice the memory for fast system upgrades and setups. The KB-3 Tone Wheel Organ Mode is now standard, providing powerful tone wheel synth models and control.zSounds Product Features:
Included AccessoriesPower cableSustain pedalTwo manuals: the Musician's Guide and the Musician's ReferenceKB-3
- 76-note semi-weighted and 88-note fully weighted action keyboard versions available
- True 48-voice polyphony with 192 oscillators
- Fluorescent 64 x 240 backlit LCD display
- 4MB sample memory upgradable to 128MB
- 4MB flash memory for OS and ROM storage
- Full MIDI controller capabilities including 8 sliders, 2 ribbon controllers, footswitches, pedals, and breath controllers — all assignable
- V.A.S.T. (Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology) with 60 DSP functions.
- New Triple Modular Processing offers 126 sound shaping algorithms for per-voice processing Flash ROM (for software updates via floppy disk and SCSI). The current version of the operating system is 2.0. The operating system in your unit is displayed on power up.
- Extensive sample-processing capabilities
- Over 450 programs provided
- 32-track sequencer with full editing
- 16 MIDI channels, each can be a 32-layer program
- Sampling option with analog and digital I/O and sample-while-play capability
- Up to 44MB on board ROM sounds, acclaimed Stereo Grand Piano now included
- Powerful KDFX 5 stereo bus, 24-bit digital effects now standard
- DMTi Digital Multi-track interface option for data format and sample rate conversion, and multi-channel digital patchbay
- KB-3 Organ Mode provides powerful tone wheel organ synth models
- Live Mode, with real-time A to D converters now standard
The KB-3 Organ Mode is standard on all K2600 Series instruments. The sliders and mod wheel accurately model the drawbars of a Tone Wheel Organ. This revolutionary synthesis modeling tool gives the user the power to blend harmonics in real-time to create and control unique new timbres. Full polyphony is always maintained, with a single-voice containing 9 harmonics that may be blended, controlled, and/or recorded in real time. KB-3 is just the beginning, future software enhancements will unlock the true potential of this new tool.Sequencer
The K2600's full-function 32-track sequencer is equipped with many features only found on the most sophisticated software-based sequencers. With a maximum internal resolution of 768 ppq, sequencer functions include: Linear, Pattern and Step (Drum Machine), Record Modes, Reference Quantize, Event Edit List, Cut, Copy, Paste facilities, Advanced Auto Arranger functions (allows sequences to be triggered from keys with velocity sensitivity and transposition), grab (imports tracks from other sequences), and more. Reference Quantize allows the user to quantize to a groove track, and to quantize tracks not previously recorded with a click. The Event Edit List, with view filters and audible scroll, enables precise, computer-style editing. If the user already created some work on a computer sequencer, or wants to use a computer for additional development, the K2600 can import and export either Type 1 or Type 0 MIDI files on DOS format media. The K2600 sequencer is the most sophisticated available.MIDI Control
The K2600 and K2600X are complete MIDI controllers. The 600mm ribbon controller is programmable in 3 distinct zones or one long zone. It can be assigned to respond to finger positions as follows: relative to absolute center; relative to "virtual center" (initial finger-press defines the virtual starting point); return to center when finger is removed; or maintain current value when finger is removed. A shorter, pressure and direction sensitive ribbon controller below the pitch and mod wheels allows natural vibrato and subtle nuances of expression. Two buttons above the pitch and mod wheels are completely programmable. The front panel also has eight independently assignable sliders, useful as MIDI sliders, for sequencer mixdown, or as organ drawbars in the KB-3 Mode. Additional controllers include sequencer "transport control" buttons, 4 footswitch inputs, and 2 continuous control pedal inputs (1 CC2 and 1 CC2/breath controller). The breath controller input accepts Yamaha BC-1, BC-2, and BC-3 breath controllers. The multitude of flexible control surfaces make the K2600 the ideal center piece for any MIDI production.Balanced Outs
The K2600 includes Balanced Audio Outputs that deliver professional audio signal levels (1/4 in. TRS). Unbalanced (1/4 in.) outputs are also supported.User-Installable Options
Now more accessible than ever, the K2600 user can install options including PRAM memory expansion (from 477K to 1.5MB), Sample RAM (up to 128MB) and Sound ROM boards. Improved Keyboard Action
Improved keyboard actions offer greater performance and reliability for the most demanding situations. Available in 76-note semi-weighted or 88-note fully-weighted keyboards.Live Mode
Powerful V.A.S.T. DSP capabilities to process any incoming mono or stereo signal via the analog or digital sample inputs (requires the sampling option). Imagine plugging your guitar, microphone, mixer, or tape track directly into your K2600 and customizing the sound using any of the V.A.S.T. parameters, all in real time. Then add effects using the K2600's on board effects or the state-of-the-art KDFX. The K2600 is the most advanced real-time signal processor ever created. With the digital I/O option you get 8 in and 8 out KDS I/O that can bidirectioanlly communicate with the DMTi and any other devices wired to the DMTi, such as MDMs (Adat, TDIF), Computer I/O (AES, SPDIF), and more.Upgrades
Kurzweil is renowned for its non-obsolescence by design philosophy. With Flash ROM, the user can now easily upgrade the operating system from disk or SCSI and customize the factory program and setup lists, always keeping your instrument current with new features and technology. New software is made available via this web site or from your Kurzweil dealer. The user may also choose to upgrade the K2600's program and sample memory: battery-backed program RAM can be expanded from 477K to 1.5MB via a cost-effective memory upgrade. Sample memory now include 4MB and can be upgraded to 128MB for recording or capturing over 24 minutes of CD-quality sampled sound. The k2600 is the most flexible and upgradable instrument available.Onboard Sounds
The K2600 offers over 450 programs (with 100s more available) for a wide and useful selection. Handy search string functions allow the user to locate a program, setup or object quickly in memory. The K2600 uses a file format that is K200 and K2500 compatible, enabling it to read Kurzweil or third-party sound libraries for each instrument from disk or CD-ROM. The K2600 can also read other manufactures' sample libraries including Roland's 700 Series, Akai S900, S950, S1000, S1100, and S3000, and Ensoniq EPS and ASR file formats. V.A.S.T. processing will give new life to these files. The K2600 gives the Kurzweil owner access to the largest sound library in the world.Interactive Setups
The K2600 interactive setups allow for easy creative inspiration using multi-timbral "grooves." Kurzweil gives the user instant access to the most useful parameters for real-time control of programs and setups from a wide assortment of preassigned controllers.Connectivity
The rear panels of the K2600 and K2600X have been designed for better I/O placement. It also provides additional controller inputs for a multitude of interfacing possibilities. The controller inputs include 4 footswitch, a breath-controller, and 2 continuous control pedal jacks (1 CC2 pedal and 1 CC2/breath input). Interconnection is easy with two 25-pin SCSI connectors and MIDI In, Out, and Thru (Thru switchable to a copy of Out). Rear panel outputs are balanced and include a pair of mixed audio outs, 8 individual audio outs, and one headphone output. Add K2600 Options (SMP-2x/R) Sampling Options or DMTi Digital Multi-track interface) for a full range of additional digital I/O (provides 20-bit digital output). The DMTi Option interfaces directly with the DA-88 or ADAT (with optional interface board) and provides 4-bus data and sample rate conversion capabilities as well as acting as a very flexible digital patch bay. The K2600 brings unparalleled control, distribution, and communication to your digital audio environment.KDFX
Kurzweil KDFX is standard on all K2600s. KDFX utilizes Kurzweil's VLSI DSP chip. It includes a versatile 5-stereo-bus design, 24-bit signal processing, cutting edge DSP functionality, and unparalleled real-time control, all with an extremely flexible routing scheme. All I/O can be routed through KDFX including 8 outputs and 8 inputs from Kurzweil Digital Stream (KDS) digital I/O, or sampling I/O. KDFX opens a whole new realm of possibilities for the K2600.Sound ROM
The K2600 has 4 expansion slots for up to 44MB of sample ROM. Users can take advantage of the Orchestral and Contemporary ROM options that already exist for the K2000 and K2500 Series, since they can also be used in the K2600. Choosing from the world's largest library of sounds, 2 new sample ROMs are under development for even greater on board sound selection.The Choice is Clear
Kurzweil's award-winning instruments have always been known for their excellent sound quality, long-life, and state-of-the-art synthesis and sampling technology. Once again Kurzweil delivers the next generation of music with the K2600. The right features, the right technology and the right sounds. Now more than ever Kurzweil is the choice of professionals around the world.
***Note -- The K2600 series no longer contains the video or 10-CD set. This was a Kurzweil promotion that ended approx. May 2001.Technical Info
- Power Supply: User switchable international power supply.
- Architecture: Proprietary V.A.S.T. system.
- Polyphony: 48 voices.
- Display: 64 x 240 fluorescent backlit display.
- Analog I/O: 8 balanced audio outs plus mix stereo pair (can also be used as unbalanced). 600-ohm stereo headphone out.
- With SMP-2X sampling option: Stereo 1/4 in. unbalanced analog hi-Z input (tip/ring/sleeve); 2 balanced lo-Z (XLR) inputs.
- Digital I/O: With SMP-2X: 2 channels AES/EBU, SPDIF (via Optical and RCA) inputs and outputs. With Digital Input/Output Option: 8 channels of input and output via KDS ports.
- Sample RAM: Up to 128 MB via non-composite 72 pin SIMMs.
- Sound ROM: Up to 44 MB; 12 MB base ROM plus additional 8 MB Orchestral ROM, 8 MB Contemporary ROM and 2 more 8 MB blocks to be released in the future.
- Sequence/Program RAM: 486KB user-programmable battery-backed RAM, expandable to 1.5 MB via PRAM upgrade kit.
- SCSI support: Two SCSI-1 25-pin connectors.
- Software Upgrades: User-installed upgrades via 3.5 in. DOS-compatible diskette or SCSI. Software available for download from Kurzweil‰s website. DOS compatibility required.
- AFMS File System: User-friendly cataloging and retrieval of individual objects. Powerful utilities including: file search, info about media/available space, disk macros, startup file applications, and more.
- KB3 Drawbar Mode: Allows blending of 9 harmonics per voice in real-time (full polyphony maintained at all times). KB3 Mode allows realistic tone wheel organ emulations and innovative, dynamic new timbres.
- Live Mode: Process any incoming signal via the optional analog or digital inputs with powerful V.A.S.T. synthesis functions and built in KDFX capabilities.
- Sample Processing DSP: DSP functions include time compression/expansion, pitch shifting, re-sampling, pasting samples on beats-per-minute timeline (Mix Beat), volume ramps, mix sample, and many other functions. Sample Processing DSP is standard on all K2600 units.
- Sequencer: Full-function sequencer with 16 song and 16 arrangement tracks. Offers pattern, linear, and step recording, Cut, Copy, Paste, advanced 'groove' quantizing, event list editing. and other powerful editing tools. Sequences can be triggered in real time from the keyboard.
- Compatibility: Reads/writes Standard MIDI Files, AIFF and WAVE files. Reads libraries in Roland 700 series, Akai S900, S950, S1000, S1100, and S3000, Ensoniq EPS, and ASR file formats.
- Power cable
- Sustain pedal
- Two manuals: the Musician's Guide and the Musician's Reference
- SMP-2X Advanced Sampling Option with Digital I/O, Optical I/O, and Sample-while-play. DSP functions include time compression/expansion, pitch shifting, re-sampling, pasting samples on a beats per minute time line (Mix Beat), volume ramps, mix sample, and many other functions.
- DIO-26 Digital Input/Output Option adds the ability to input and output eight channels of digital audio to/from the K2600. All incoming audio can then be routed through V.A.S.T. and KDFX processing.
- DMTi Digital MultiTrack interface performs real-time digital data format conversion between K2600, AES/EBU, SPDIF, ADAT, and DA-88. It simultaneously performs real-time sample-rate conversion to 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz or a variety of external clock rates.
- Contemporary ROM, Orchestral ROM Soundblocks add additional ROM samples, along with new preset programs and setups
- PRAM-26 Program RAM Memory Expansion increases the amount of battery backed RAM from 486k to 1503k.
- Dimensions: 54.3 x 17.8 x 4.8 in. (137.9 x 45.1 x 12.2cm)
- Weight: 72 lbs. (32.7 kg)